Growing companies that begin to hire staff have specific labour employment requirements. Let us help you maintain compliance with the Ministry of Labour, Revenue Canada and Occupational health and Safety Act.

Did you know that all employers regardless of the size of employees have specific requirements?


Common Questions

I have less than 4 employees working in my company do I need to have them on payroll and offer them formal employment letters?

Yes, all employees are required to receive a letter outing the conditions of employment.  In addition, revenue Canada has specific actions taken against an employer that does not comply to processing federal and provincial tax deductions.

My company has 10 employees, do I have an obligation to post and documentation?

In Ontario, Regardless of the number of employees in your company you must post the Employment Standards Act, 2000 poster in your workplace “an employer who is required to post the poster and who fails to post version 6.0 on or after May 1, 2015 would be in violation of the Employment Standards Act, 2000. This could result in an employment standards officer taking enforcement action. 

Which workplaces must have joint health and safety committees?

1 to 5 You are not required to have a JHSC or a health and safety representative unless a designated substance regulation applies to your workplace.
6 to 19 You are required to have one health and safety representative who is selected by the workers they represent. If a designated substance regulation applies to your workplace, you are required to have a JHSC.
20 to 49 You are required to have a JHSC. The committee must have at least two (2) members.
50 plus You are required to have a JHSC. The committee must have at least four (4) members.

What is the difference between an employee and contractor?

Revenue Canada has specific requirements to determine if your worker is an employer or contractor. Areas that are taken into consideration, such as how much control the worker has over the work performed, degree of independence, ownership of equipment, financial risk, opportunity for profit.  An employer who fails to deduct the required CPP contributions or EI premiums has to pay both the employer’s share and the employee’s share of any contributions and premiums owing, plus penalties and interest”.

Is your business compliant? Contact us for a free audit! 


Shaista S. Uddin
55 City Centre Drive, Suite #508
Mississauga, Ontario L5B 1M3
Tel: (416) 843-5301
Fax: (905) 361-9788
E-mail: shaista@hrdepart.ca

Direct Email Here